- This event has passed.
Gods, Myths, and Empire: Wine in the Greco-Roman World Virtual Tasting
September 13 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm$30
What if terroir wasn’t just referring to composition of soil but also to the history and myths of a region? Jill Weber, Ph.D. brings us to ancient Greece and Rome, where wine did not originate but was consumed and celebrated in ways that transformed its cultural significance from being bound to the sacred and guided by ritual, to entering daily life. We will explore how this shift also expanded the geographic boundaries of large-scale wine production, encompassing many of the Old-World regions from which wine is celebrated today.
American Friends of La Cité du Vin’s Fall Somm Series kicks off with this companion piece to the cultural exhibit “Drinking with the Gods,” currently on display at La Cité du Vin. Our presenter is Jill Weber, Ph.D. and a professional archaeologist who finds great pleasure in expanding “terroir” to include the myths and artifacts upon which modern grapes grow. When not traveling and working on excavations, she is a restaurateur and serves as Board President of Les Dames d’Escoffier Philadelphia.
Jill will lead a tasting of three wines as she weaves her stories that are inspired and complemented by the 2021 Cultural Exhibit at La Cité du Vin.
Dr. Jill has curated a list of three wines to taste our way through history! They are available for purchase through our partner, Tribeca Wine Merchants. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to order. $99 for the 3-pack or purchase separately.
- Tour de Gendres Petillant Naturel NV, Bergerac, France. $25 A zippy Pét Nat blend of 70% Sauvignon Blanc & 30% Chenin Blanc
- Arndorfer Gemischter Satz ‘Terrassen 1958’ 2018, Kamptal, Austria. $39 A small production Kamptal (white) with a blend of 60% Neuburger, 25% Gruner and 15% Riesling
- Troupis Nemea 2019, Peloponnese, Greece. $35 A small estate bottled red of 100% agiorgtiko
Philadelphians can pick up their own 3-pack of selected wines at Jet Wine Bar*.
*The Jet pack – also $99 – includes the following:
- Castello Stefanago Macerato 2019, Lombardia, Italy, $38 Ancient technique, fresh tasting pinot grigio “orange”.
- Vina Skaramuca Plavac Mali 2018, Peljesec, Croatia, $31 Coastal red with violet and red berry notes
- Halkia Agiorgitiko 2018, Peloponnese, Greece. $39 A lively, light-bodied red tasting of earth & cherries
order your 3-pack for pick up, here, or contact Nick@jetwinebar, or just come to Jet!